Clark Howard: Advice you can trust
As a leading consumer advocate and money expert, Clark Howard has been sharing practical advice to help people save more and spend less for more than 30 years.
Why Clark Howard is passionate about money
Although Clark grew up in an affluent home, he was not immune to financial hardship. During his freshman year in college at American University, Clark’s father lost his job. In that moment, Clark realized his parents never saved any money.
Clark’s journey from silver spoon to penny pincher
Clark started to work full-time to pay for his own education. He was working during the day and attending school at night.
After college, Clark chose a job at IBM because the company offered tuition reimbursement which paid his way through graduate school.
Clark was committed to becoming financially confident so he started to save every other paycheck — establishing the foundation for a strong financial future.
“I was very lucky in business, in real estate, and in investing, and I spent a lot less than I made.”
How Clark retired at the age of 31
Clark opened his own travel agency, Action Travel, in 1981. The airlines were recently deregulated and the market began to set the fares — it was the perfect opportunity for Clark to start his business.
Like the Clark you know and love now, he was spreading value and discount travel deals to his customers on a regular basis. Action Travel quickly became a major success.
After six years, Clark sold the agency and retired at the age of 31.
With a dream to live at the beach, Clark moved to Florida. He was traveling, exercising and enjoying his financial freedom — Clark was set for life.
“People who say they are going to just play golf or tennis or travel in retirement are going to be pretty confused and out of sorts — that adrenaline runs out quickly. You have to have some meaning that’s greater than yourself in life.”
Why Clark is dedicated to serving you
While still retired, Clark appeared as a guest on a radio show to answer questions about travel. He did a few appearances and became a routine guest.
Clark was asked to host Cover Your Assets which later turned into a nationally-syndicated radio show, The Clark Howard Show.
Now, the money expert is dedicated to sharing practical resources to help you save more money and achieve financial confidence.
No matter where you are in your journey to financial freedom, Clark is here to help.
“I want to help you gain more financial security today and more control over your financial future.”
Nationally-syndicated radio show host
Clark has been broadcasting money-saving tips through his nationally-syndicated radio show and podcast, The Clark Howard Show, since 1989. He was inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame in 2015.
At his core, Clark is committed to helping consumers like you achieve financial freedom. To help people find answers and feel confident with money, he put his pen to paper. In fact, Clark is the author of 10 books, including three New York Times best-sellers. Living Large In Lean Times reached #1 on the New York Times best seller list.
- Living Large for the Long Haul
- Living Large in Lean Times
- Clark Smart Real Estate
- Clark’s Big Book of Bargains
- Clark Smart Parents, Clark Smart Kids
- Get Clark Smart: The Ultimate Guide to Getting Rich From America’s Money-Saving Expert
“My goal is to provide consumer information through whatever channel people find convenient.”
Clark’s free resources for your wallet
Do you need to pay off debt? Are you looking for the simplest step to start saving money? Not sure how to prepare for retirement? You can find real answers to your money questions on Clark.com.
Clark is obsessed with finding the best deals so he built a team to find real deals you can trust every day. From televisions to tools to travel and more, the best deals are on ClarkDeals.com.
The Clark Howard Show: Radio and Podcast
Clark has been hosting The Clark Howard Show for more than 30 years — it’s full of on-demand advice you can trust. He likes to hear from his listeners so you can submit an Ask Clark question or a Clark Stinks moment any time!
Clark’s Consumer Action Center: Call 404-892-8227 to get free help
The Consumer Action Center is a free community resource for advice on money and consumer issues. The helpline is available Monday-Thursday 10am -7pm ET and Friday 10am-4pm ET. Founded in 1993, the Consumer Action Center is staffed by hundreds of knowledgeable volunteers who can help you with your questions.
Clark Howard in the community
Clark is married and has two daughters and a son in Atlanta. The consumer advocate is dedicated to making a difference in the community by getting involved with numerous life-changing organizations.
Clark’s Christmas Kids
- 150,000 children in foster care served
- The Clark’s Christmas Kids mission is to provide gifts for every foster kid in Georgia each Christmas
- Founded in 1991
- Learn more about Clark’s Christmas Kids
Habitat for Humanity
- 79 homes built for families
- Habitat for Humanity partners with people, like Clark, in the community to help them build or improve a place they can call home
- Involved since 1996
- Learn more about Clark’s work with Habitat for Humanity
Georgia State Defense Force
- The Georgia State Defense Force is an all-volunteer group dedicated to disaster relief and serving the community
- Joined in 2001
- Learn more about Clark’s commitment to the Georgia State Defense Force
Prostate Cancer Foundation
- The Prostate Cancer Foundation is the leading philanthropic organization funding and accelerating prostate cancer research globally
- Clark was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2009
- Involved since 2011
- Learn more about the Prostate Cancer Foundation
For speaking engagements, appearance requests and community outreach questions, email [email protected].
Fun facts about money expert Clark Howard
- Clark is an expert at fast food math: Order two McDoubles, throw away half of the bread and combine the burgers to save money — that’s the best value for your dollar!
- At the age of six, Clark Howard wanted to be President of the United States.