Review Summary: The Sam’s Club® Mastercard® offers a very high rate of cash back on gas, but much less so at Sam’s Club and for most other purchases.
How the Sam’s Club® Mastercard®credit card works
The Sam’s Club Mastercard has no annual fee with your paid Sam’s Club membership and can double as your membership card. This card can be used at Sam’s Club and anywhere else that accepts Mastercard. You earn cash back on your purchases, which automatically gets loaded to your membership account.
Sam’s Club Mastercard review: Table of contents
How to earn rewards
With this card, you earn 5% cash back on your first $6,000 of gas purchased at U.S. gas stations. You also earn 3% cash back on all travel and dining purchases, and 1% cash back at Sam’s Club and on all other purchases. Just note that you can only earn a maximum of $5,000 in cash back rewards each year.
How to redeem rewards
Cash back is automatically loaded to your membership account each February. Checks are no longer issued. There are several ways to redeem your rewards:
- Use in-club at any register until the rewards expire or are fully redeemed
- Use to renew or upgrade your Sam’s Club membership
- Use cash back to pay toward your credit card balance
- Get cash back at a staffed register
Additional cardholder benefits
- Access to $100 in cash at Sam’s Club or Walmart: These cash advances are treated like purchases, so you can avoid interest by paying your statement balance in full.
- Doubles as a membership card: One less card to carry in your wallet.
- Extended warranty: Adds up to a year to your manufacturer’s warranty.
- Purchase protection: Covers your purchases against theft or accidental damage for 90 days.
Alternatives to the Sam’s Club Mastercard
This is one of many cash back cards offered. Some feature more than 1% cash back on all purchases, but with no bonus categories. While others, like the Sam’s Club Mastercard offer just 1% on most purchases, but with opportunity to earn bonus cash back for certain purchases. For more information, see our article on the The 5 best cash back credit cards right now.
Clark Howard is a huge fan of warehouse stores like Sam’s Club, and this card could be a valuable way to earn cash back there. But it seems odd that it only offers you 1% cash back at Sam’s Club itself. However, the 5% cash back on gas and the 3% cash back on travel and dining are enough to make this one of our best rewards credit cards.